When time is not properly managed, it is quite likely that everything else will be off. Time wasted could be used to accomplish important tasks, as such, it is critical to apply time management to all aspects of your business. This will help you to:
- Make plans and so you will know what need to be done and when
- Note the important from the mundane tasks
- Not get distracted easily
- Be in control, instead of feeling like you are running around in circles
- Reduce stress
- Improve efficiency
- Avoid chaos
How can you manage your time better?
- Often we rely on memory and don’t keep notes of what need to be done. Do that no more! Get a calendar, a diary or a timetable.
- Even if you think you are unlikely to forget an activity, pencil it in.
- Make it a habit to check your calendar at the beginning and end of each day.
- Always have your notebook with you.
- Prepare a timetable for yourself for the week. What do you hope to achieve this week? What do you need to do on Monday or Friday for that matter? Do you need to call creditors, in what time period will you do this? Don’t make your days too routine, you will probably get bored after a while.
- Schedule time for breaks. If you are really tired then you lose momentum.
- What do you want to spend time on… and are you good at it? Know your limit. Be honest here, don’t try to do everything – if someone can do the job better, delegate!
- Identify the areas or tasks that take most of your time, how could you utilize or restructure your time so you spent less time doing these tasks.
- Make sure your desk and work area are properly organized, you don’t want to spend 15minutes looking for an invoice you thought you left there.
- Try to keep focused on your tasks. If the telephone gets in the way you could probably ask someone else to monitor the calls for a period. Of course, if you work alone this won’t be possible but try to think of another workaround.
- Be proactive, when you accept your challenges and duties head on, then it is unlikely that procrastination will set in.