Google created the Google Adsense plugin to offer an easy way for publishers to integrate Google advertisement into their websites. It automatically suggested places to insert ads and all one had to do was select their preferred positions for showing the ads.
For me, this was convenient and I’m sure for many of you also. However, it seemed many people did not like this plugin, due to what they considered its lack of flexibility, inconsistency and limitations. In addition, there were reports that it just did not work or that it broke, which is undoubtedly why the Google Adsense plugin is now deprecated. As such, it begs the question whether Google had put enough effort into creating, updating or maintaining this plugin.
The plugin has now been deprecated, so if you have ads on your website that was created using this plugin, as of April 5, 2017 you are no longer able to modify ads using the plugin and as of May 3, 2017 you will not have access to the plugin front end.
- Early March, 2017: New publishers will not be able to sign up for AdSense by using the plugin.
- Early April, 2017: Existing publishers will not be able to change their ad settings or ad units through the plugin.
- Early May, 2017: Google will no longer provide support for the plugin.
What should you do?
Even though your ads will still work for a while, choose an alternative now, then deactivate and remove the plugin. Always make sure that your website is updated with the latest plugin versions and themes. When a website is not updated it creates the possibility that the website could be hacked. Therefore, it is never recommended to keep deprecated or outdated plugin on your website.
Google has noted some guidance for affected publishers. However, it might be easier to find other suitable plugins on WordPress to get the job done.
Popular WordPress Plugins for Google Adsense
There are a number of popular WordPress alternatives for Google Adsense including those listed below:
- Adsense Plugin WP QUADS – 40,000+ active installs and a 5 star rating from over 350 users.
- Advanced Ads – 30,000+ active installs and a 5 star rating from over 270 users. It can also be used with other ad platforms and affiliate marketing programmes.
- Ad Inserter – 50,000+ active installs and a 5 star rating from 164 users. It can also be used with other ad platforms and affiliate programmes such as Amazon Affiliates.
- WP-insert – 30,000+ active installs and a 4.5 star rating from 125 users. It can also be used with other ads platforms and affiliate programmes.
- AdRotate – 50,000+ active installs and a 4 star rating from 438 users. It can also be used for other ads platforms and affiliate programmes.
There are of course a number of others worth considering but these are some good ones to start with.
Will Google offer another Adsense plugin?
From all indications, no. Google has no replacement plugin for the Google Adsense Plugin. They have noted that they have ‘new innovative features’ such as, ‘automatic ad formats and other upcoming initiatives’. Hopefully we will soon see what that’s all about!
Google Adsense plugin worked for some people, however, it didn’t work for many others, as shown by the ratings. If you have it on your WordPress website; backup your website, install a new ad plugin and remove the Google Adsense plugin. There are some really nice alternatives to choose from.